Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thoughts on turning 55

My mom always said to me that when you turn the same age as the years you were born in it was supposed to be a special year. I was born in 1955 and will be turning 55 in a few days.

You know how people say "If I had know I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself."? Now I know what they mean. I never thought I would live to 30 let alone 55. I could not have envisioned myself as a 55 year old with a limp and grey hair. I suppose it isn't that bad, I could be a 30 year old with a limp and grey hair. I always wondered what the tattoo I got when I was 21 would look like when I was older. Notice how I didn't say old.

I guess I'm at that point in my life where I look back and the things I have done. Most of it I'm glad I did and fairly proud of what I accomplished. Like most people there are a few things I have done that I am not very proud of and I am sorry I did them. Just more learning experiences!

So what am I going to do now? Well I need to add a few more things to my bucket list since it is getting rather short.

Let's see I still need to:
1.Take the kayak down the hill behind the house.
2.Learn to row on a crew.
3.Learn to not hate lima beans.
4.See if I can still do a cartwheel.
5.Not break any more bones. See items 1 and 4 on the list!
6.Become the best drummer I can.
7.Rediscover a passion.
8.Pursue the above passion with gusto.
9.Convince myself that I am not old just well aged.

I'm sure I can think of a few more to put on but not today.

To my friends and family I want to thank you for putting up with all of my slightly nutty ideas. For convincing me I really am hurt and taking me to the hospital! Thank you for just being who you are and for accepting me for who I am.

So for the next years of my life I'm going to live my life to the fullest and do my very best to not repeat the mistakes of the past. I am going to celebrate living everyday and smile at people I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment